Saturday, April 18, 2009

1st Camping Trip

The kids were lit up with happiness with their little lanterns. At the beginning of the walk they paniced a little bit with the darkness and stepping in puddles of mud. Once we got everything set up, they really enjoyed themselves.
Chris had gone back to the van, so Preston immediatly held his lantern up and said he was going to look for him.
Kayla sat silently for a few minutes. I could tell she was unsure of the whole "sleeping outside with the bugs" experience.
Preston was ALL FOR IT!
Chris with some of the things we brought along. haha When I took this picture it was dark so I was excited it turned out and even happier that it was Chris coming our way. ahhhh
Chris helped the children with roasting marshmellows and hotdogs. Kayla had picked out strawberry marshmellows and in my opinion weren't as good as the origional. A speck of fire landed on Kayla's pants and burnt a small hole in them.....all was and is fine.
Kayla wondered why her pink marshmellow was all of a sudden black and did not eat any after that haha. Preston really focused while roasting his.
Gotta have a silly pic!
We had so much fun just playing in the tent,singing songs, and telling funny stories.
They passed out a little after midnight. I stayed with them and Chris went to the river to fish. Around 3:38am I woke Chris up because I thought I heard some sort of animal getting into our bags. Chris checked and said that nothing was out there and that I was just being paranoid. Then a couple minutes later I woke up again and Chris was sitting up in the tent with the car keys clicking the lock button. He said that he thought he heard someone hitting something with a baseball bat. After that he couldn't sleep so decided to make lots of racket cracking sticks for the fire so that I couldn't go back to sleep. Hah besides the noise the fire lit up the tent so it was no longer as dark as I would have liked it. Kayla and Preston slept soundly for the most part. They did a lot better then we expected.
Woke up kinda confused. Kayla was excited that she didn't have an accident in her sleeping bag and the first thing Preston said was, "Is my hair all messed up?" lol
It started to sprinkle and we were parked in the dirt so we decided to cut our trip short and head back home. Preston did not take his eyes off Chris until he was out of sight ...of course.
Here is the view from above our tent.
Kayla was absorbing the atmosphere in.
Here is the river which was up ahead of where we camped. Chris had no luck this time catching any fish.
The trail from our van as we were leaving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

These pictures were so fun to see. I wanted to comment on all of them. The day I get Dax to go camping is the same day we win a trillion dollars!! Haha. I especially love the picture of them waking up and looking all disoriented. I'm glad ya'll had fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah- you should frame that picture of you and preston it was so perfect! I'm looking worse and worse in all our pictures!

melody said...

i love how you woke up to chris being paranoid after he told you you were!

i'm glad you guys had fun! it look like a neat little trip!

About Me

My photo
I am a wife, mother, daughter, student, sister, aunt,& stepmom, and now a step grandma!